Sunday, February 10, 2013

Madie's Response to Gabe P.5 Ch.3

I agree with Gabe that this chapter was very entertaining to read, as Luzhin's horrible plan gets crushed by his roommate, and Raskolnikov. He starts by immediately directing his attention towards Sonya, accusing her of theft and when it turns out she does have the money he planted there, Luzhin seems to think his scheme has worked. I agree with Gabe, that this chapter secures Luzhin's position in the list of villains. His plan makes him even more unlikeable than before. further, the fact that he frames Sonya, who is a nicer character, really shows his immoral characteristics. I thought that it was interesting that Gabe called Lebezyatnikov noble for calling Luzhin out on his plan. I'm not sure if I agree he is noble for doing it because I feel that his motives were less to help Sonya and more just to get Luzhin. Perhaps he did it with good intentions to help Sonya, which would make it a good deed. Nevertheless he does become more likeable for going against Luzhin, and saving Sonya from being framed. Gabe brings up a good point that he felt like justice was finally served. I agree with this, I felt a sort of satisfaction when everyone turned on Luzhin. Additionally, when the Marmeladov's are evicted I felt sorry for them. However, like Gabe said, this could have been avoided if Katerina had not let her pride overtake her better judgement. Now they don't have money or a home. Further, Katerina is sick! She doesn't seem to be leaving her family in a good place if she gets ill. Gabe says that Raskolnikov may try and help out the family again, and I agree. Raskolnikov feels a connection to Sonya and if she needs help I think he would try to help her out if he could. 

- Madie

No comments:

Post a Comment