Saturday, February 9, 2013

Alex's reaction to Part 5, chapter 1


I was disappointed that Dostoevsky did not continue to elaborate on Raskolnikov’s inner struggle or Nikolay’s confession in the beginning of Part 5. I was so excited to see how Porfiry would deal with Nikolay’s unexpected news! However, Chapter 1 of this portion of the novel focused solely on Luzhin’s shallow and superficial personality. I found it quite comical that Luzhin believes money is the answer to all of his problems. After witnessing Dunya’s ability to test his love for her and her family, he truly believes that if he had given Dunya more money and gifts, she would not have left him. Although this was funny to me, I understood that the purpose of Luzhin’s thoughts was to convey the deep materialistic mentality of his character. He never stops to think that Dunya’s reason for ending the engagement with him goes deeper than thoughts of money and materialistic items. In addition, Luzhin’s intense hatred for Raskolnikov peaks in this chapter. He feels that Raskolnikov played a large role in ending Dunya and his engagement. Like Madie said, Luzhin mentions that if he could have killed Raskolnikov with a sole wish he would have. I was confused when Luzhin brought Sonya into the story. The fact that he gave her 10 rubles was very uncharacteristic and confusing to me. I do not believe this scene represents a change in Luzhin’s character, he is too self absorbed to be generous to others. I believe Luzhin is probably doing this for a selfish reason, and although I am unsure of what his motives are, I think this will come into play later in the novel. 

- Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment