Sunday, February 10, 2013

Alex's Response to Part 5, Chapter 1


Madie and Gabe both raise interesting points with which I agree about this chapter. Like Gabe said, Dostoevsky successfully switches the focus of Crime in Punishment in this chapter to focus on Luzhin. Also, I agree with both Madie and Gabe that Luzhin’s materialistic nature is clearly shown through his belief that the reason Dunya broke off the engagement was solely about money and had he given her more gifts, she would not have left him. Gabe also mentioned Luzhin’s plans to frame Sonya, enhancing the corruption in Luzhin’s character. This agrees with my thoughts that Luzhin gave Sonya the money to benefit himself, although I was not exactly sure how he would go about doing so. Lastly, Madie, Gabriel, and I all agree that introducing Luzhin's roommate, Lebezyatnikov, seems somewhat unnecessary at the moment. Gabe mentioned that Lebezyatnikov does not seem to play a large part of what is going on thus far, but he thinks it is likely that eventually, Lebezyatnikov will become a bigger part of the novel, and I agree with him. However, I have noticed that Lebeziatnikov seems to feign self-importance and as a result, I already do not like him.

-Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment