Sunday, February 10, 2013

Alex's response to Gabe and Madie; Part 5, Ch. 2


It is easy to conclude that Madie, Gabe, and I all agree that Katerina should definitely not be spending most of the family money on Marmeladov’s memorial due to the fact that the family no longer has a steady source of income now that Marmelodov is gone. My partners and I also agree that pride is Katerina Ivanova’s motivation. I thought It was interesting that Gabe originally respected Katerina for spending a large portion of the money on her husband’s memorial service and believed she was being noble. However, Gabe soon realized that Katerina was not doing this out of love for her husband, but to appear as a member of a higher, more respectable class. Gabe brought up an interesting point when he said that by boasting about her family coming from nobility, Katerina was clearly sending out the opposite message. Madie and I also agree that Katerina’s family is the furthest thing from aristocratic. With a stepdaughter who was forced into prostitution and an alcoholic husband, Katerina is in no position to argue that her family is even the slightest bit noble. Madie and Gabriel made interesting points when they stated that Katerina’s pride might possibly end up hurting her family in the future. Both of my partners also mentioned that if Katerina dies, her children will be left with no parents and it is likely that they will not be able to support themselves. I definitely agree with this statement and I am worried about their children, especially Sonya. Also, I agree with Gabriel in that I do have some sympathy for Marmeladov’s widow, despite her outrageous behavior. Gabe mentioned that Katerina was trying to convince herself that she and her family were not in such a horrible situation, and I agree with him. I believe that this also justifies her behavior to some extent. I am looking forward to reading about what will happen to Katerina in the following chapters.

- Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment