Sunday, February 10, 2013

Gabe's response to Madie's p5 ch1

I agree with Madie that Luzhin's shallowness comes out during this chapter. The previous chapters provided hints at the fact that Luzhin is not a good man, but in this chapter he actually becomes somewhat of a villain. I think it is pathetic how Luzhin believes that the reason why his relationship did not work out with Dunya is because he did not buy her enough things, and not because he was not a gentleman or the fact that he was self-centered, materialistic, and egotistical. I agree that his arrogance is the reason why Luzhin's relationship ended, and not because Dunya wanted more gifts. I think Madie brings up an interesting point that Luzhin is mostly upset for vain reasons, rather than being heartbroken. I also agree that his hatred for Raskolnikov shows in this chapter, as he expresses it to himself frequently and mentions killing Raskolnikov with a sole. I disagree with Madie on the fact that Luzhin is giving money to Sonya with positive intentions. He is very sneaky about it and it seems as if he is trying to plot something. The reason why I do not think that Luzhin is doing this out of the good of his heart is because of his previous actions and behavior. I agree with Madie that this deep hatred that Luzhin has for Raskolnikov will be detrimental to him since he is only acquiring more enemies and more people who will want to work against him.

-Gabriel

No comments:

Post a Comment