Sunday, February 10, 2013

Gabe's reaction to Alex's part 5 ch 3

I completely agree with Alex that this chapter was exciting! I think we are all happy that Luzhin finally got what he deserved, and was actually turned in by his roommate. I also though tthat Lebezyatnikov was an insignificant filler character, but deep down I knew that there had to be some importance in placing him in the story. Based on the past chapters, almost every character so far has ended up playing a role in the story despite the fact that they seemed insignificant at first. I also agree with her when she states that it was satisfying to see his plan fail. Although Raskolnikov committed a villainous act, I can not help but feel some sort of sympathy for him. On the other hand, I completely despise Luzhin and I feel as if he is a true villain. The way he treats Dunya and the way he thinks and acts truly disgusts me. The fact that he would go so low as to attempt to frame Sonya, who although is a prostitute still has some dignity and seems like she is a good girl, by putting money in her pocket and accusing her of stealing. I also am cheering for Sonya as she still shows faith and God and begs for forgiveness. She is pure on the inside and is simply working as a prostitute to support herself and her family. I think Alex's analysis on Raskolnikov's conflicting moral codes is both interesting and accurate. The fact that he performs both compassionate and immoral behaviors makes Raskolnikov even more interesting of a character. I disagree with Alex about feeling sorry for Katerina. If anything I feel sorry for her family, but to me she is just as bad as Luzhin. She puts her own self esteem issues before her own health and the health of her family. She is rude and disrespectful to her guests, but I do agree with Alex that Raskolnikov will probably offer his apartment to them since he has helped their family out multiple times in the past.

-Gabriel

No comments:

Post a Comment