Sunday, September 9, 2012

Response to both Gabe's and Alex's Posts.

I agree with both Gabriel and Alex, that this was a very thrilling chapter of part 1. The plot led up to the crime however none of us expected Raskolnikov to truly commit the crime! I liked how Alex described Raskolnikov's selfish character, how he justifies the murder of the to sisters by the greed of wanting money. Raskolnikov definitely, in that moment, does not seem to think that his actions are unjustified. Further to what Alex said, I agree with her that Raskolnikov does not want to take responsibility for his actions and that is why he goes back and forth between wether he should or should not commit the crime. He is very indecisive towards the subject, and I think that he does not wan to have to be responsible for it. Also, I thought that it was interesting how Gabe described how there is now no good deed that Raskolnikov has done. This is the first novel that I have read where the main character is sort of unlikeable. He provides no amiable or redeeming qualities that I imagine a main character to have. If anything he is very dark, and now after the murder comes off as evil. He does not seem like the kind of character that a reader can relate to or admire. I am intrigued to see how Dostoevsky constructs his character throughout the rest of the novel.

- Madie

No comments:

Post a Comment