Sunday, September 30, 2012

Alex's Response to Madie's Reaction


Madie and I have similar thoughts concerning Raskolnikov. We both agree that it is quite evident that discussing the murders causes Raskolnikov much discomfort and anxiety. Moreover, Madie and I also agree that the murders of Alyona and Lizaveta Ivanova have clearly resulted in both feelings of dismay and overwhelming guilt for Raskolnikov. I like how Madie pointed out that although he covered it up deceptively, Raskolnikov most likely told the police about the murders because he is unable to let go of what he has done. As a result, he cannot escape the stressful and guilty feelings weighing on his conscience. Lastly, Madie and I both get the idea that someone will eventually find out who committed the murders. Not only are several characters growing more suspicious of Raskolnikov, but he is also getting sloppy in his attempts to hide his gruesome actions. I feel like Raskolnikov’s subconscious wants someone to find out that he is the real killer of the Ivanova sisters and therefore, Raskolnikov is unknowingly becoming more careless. I can easily say that I am completely fascinated with Raskolnikov’s character. My interest in the plot intensifies with each chapter, as I continue reading about this deranged and troubled character. On multiple occasions, I have found myself hypothesizing what the outcome of the narrative will be. Will he confess? Will he die due to his overwhelming amount of guilt? The vast amount of suspense that Dostoyevsky has imposed in his literature propels me to keep reading and I am looking forward to seeing how the story will unravel. 

-Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment