Sunday, September 23, 2012

Madie's Reaction to Part 2 - Ch I - III

I thought that these few chapters are very telling. Raskolnikov is obviously becoming quite paranoid and crazy, searching his clothes for blood. He had a very insightful line Can this be the punishment already beginning? Indeed it is.” Perhaps his inner conflict is all the punishment he will receive. I think though, that something will happen and he will do something drastic. He already became so nervous at the police office about hearing the murder he had the strongest impulse to tell the police about what happened. About what he did. I don't think that he is a strong enough character to keep up the facade that he is innocent. I think he will definitely break at some point. Also, when he visits his friend Razumikhin, I think he wants to get his help with maybe dealing with the murder and the guilt. I think he wants someone to confide in, but Raskolnikov realizes that he cannot confide in anyone, so he leaves promptly, sounding quite mad. I believe that Raskolnikov will go crazy with the guilt of the murder and suppressing that guilt, that that will be his ultimate punishment. There will be no jail, no hanging, no trial. Only his own madness encroaching upon him. Further, when his hallucinations cause him to "forget" the murder he feels upset because he knows he can't afford to forget it. However, he mentions, when he comes to, trying to "pretend [that] he still did not quite know what was going on." I think because he does not want to remember the murder. But at the end, he remembers it and his friend Razumikhin looks very puzzled. Maybe Razumikhin will find out about the murder... 

- Madie

No comments:

Post a Comment