Sunday, October 28, 2012

Madie's Response to Alex

I think Alex and I agree on pretty much all parts of these first three chapters. We both were expecting a more dramatic and suspenseful plot to come, but she makes a good point of outlining Dostoevsky's writing style. She noted that he kept the suspense by not mentioning the thing the reader wanted most. This definitely kept me wanting to read further, to find out what I wanted to read. This is something I did not notice before, but was clever on the part of Dostoevsky. Also, I agree with Alex that Dunya and  Razumikhin's relationship will play a role in the book as well as might cause some conflict to come. If it did not, it would just be a random attention grabber for the moment which I don't think Dostevsky would do. This relationship if definitely going to play a part in the future, however I am unsure of what that will be, or how Raskolnikov will react. I though Alex's statement at the end "I hope that someone will eventually discover the real reason for Raskolnikov’s suffering.." was good because I feel the same way. I sort of want someone to find out that he did the murder, and we are coming closer to that with Zossimov pointing out he thinks something is wrong with Raskolnikov. I'm not sure what is to come in the novel, but I am sure that it will be captivating. 

- Madie

No comments:

Post a Comment