Monday, October 8, 2012

Madie's Response to Alex and Gabe

I think that we all are having the same ideas about this chapter. Obviously Raskolnikov is trying to suppress his guilt about the murder. I agree with Gabe that the contradiction with Marmeladov and his wife Katerina Ivanova is interesting. Even though he I dying, she is still very upset, weeping and crying over him. However she also yells at him and tells him he is useless. I liked Gabes idea that Marmeladov had some good character flaws before he became a drunkard. I never thought about that. Maybe this could be true of Raskolnikov as well..? Maybe he had some good character traits to start, but in the end will cause his own fate. I also agree with Alex that Raskolnikov will not be able to stay like this for long. He will not be able to mend his guilt enough to be functional. Sooner or later, no matter what he tries to do, the guilt of the murder will never leave him. That is going to be his punishment. I think that the story will bring interesting turns in regards to him attempting to fix his guilt, because he does believe he can rid himself of it. However this will not work, his punishment is the guilt.




- Madie

No comments:

Post a Comment