Sunday, October 7, 2012

Alex's response to Madie


Madie and I share a similar opinion in regard to Raskolnikov’s behavior in Part II, Chapter 7. We both doubt the nobility and compassion behind Raskolnikov’s selfless acts when he helps the Marmeladov family by giving them money and promising to help them in the future. In this scene, Madie and I similarly believe that rather than acting out of his sympathy for the family, Raskolnikov’s generosity serves as the result of his attempt to salvage some of his conscience. In accordance to Madie’s statement that Raskolnikov tries to mend his guilt by “patching it up again with selfless tasks,” I too believe that Raskolnikov considers his newfound altruism as a method of compensating for the murders. Thus, lessening his overbearing sense of guilt. Madie and I have corresponding thoughts that Raskolnikov will never be able to fully rid himself of guilt and regret. Due to his mentally unstable nature, I do not think Raskolnikov will ever be able to find a mental balance and come to grips with his emotions. I believe that Raskolnikov’s psychological downfall will continue throughout the remainder of Crime and Punishment and his mental suffering serves as the central conflict in the novel. In my opinion, Dostoyevsky crafted Raskolnikov’s delirious personality this way for a reason. I think he was trying to illustrate the underlying theme in the novel that a crime’s true punishment occurs within the mind of the criminal. As Crime and Punishment progresses, I suspect that Raskolnikov’s mental capacity for guilt and remorse will continue to diminish, and his suffering will ultimately drive his character to complete destruction.

Alex Balogh

No comments:

Post a Comment