Sunday, October 28, 2012

Gabe's reaction to part 3 chapters 1-3

The opening chapters to part 3 were slightly less eventful than I imagined them to be. After and exciting  conclusion to part 2, I felt as if these chapters served more as fillers than as an actual advancement of the plot, so I did not enjoy them as much. However, further insight to the characters' personalities was provided, which allowed me to understand each one of them better. For example, when Razumikhin proclaims his love to Dunya, I was very surprised. Throughout the story he has been known as the character with the best intentions due to his honesty and compassion for others. This action surprised me as, although he was intoxicated, it did not suit as something I would expect him to do. He also demonstrates jealousy when Dunya speaks with the doctor. This added suspense to the story because judging by the earlier chapters, I assume that this will eventually be an important addition to the plot and drama of the story. Dunya appears to be a daring and independent woman, especially when she decides to test her fiancé. Raskolnikov, on the other hand, further demonstrates his weakness and mental instability when he uncontrollably lashes out due to his guilt, then passes out at a simple comment that his sister makes about not having killed anyone, clearly meant to be just an expression. It surprises me that he has not been discovered after all his obvious declarations of guilt, but it is clear that the story is slowly unraveling and that he will be exposed when Zossimov states that his "illness" is most likely due to an obsession.

-Gabriel Magalhaes

No comments:

Post a Comment