Sunday, November 4, 2012

Madie's Reaction P.3 Ch. 4-6

These last three chapters were very enthralling. Once again we are faced with Raskolnikov's struggle against his own conscious, and throughout these chapters I began to see the cracks in his armor get bigger. Now, everyone is beginning to notice Raskolnikovs apparent anxiety when the murder is mentioned. Raskolnikov is struggling with the pressure of suspicion and the desire to confess. I think that he will eventually have to have a mental breakdown, because he is almost at a breaking point. This is shown through his sporadic emotions and lack of control over them - laughing strangely as he enters Porfiry's house, and his strange dream at the end of chapter six. However, for the first time really I got a sense of Raskolnikov's reasoning and justification for the murder through his article "On Crime." It was not only that he despised Alyona Ivanova, but that he believed he was better than her therefore he held the right to kill her. I think that Raskolnikov might have believed this when he was planning and committing the murder, but I think he is beginning to see that is not true. I think that he is beginning to doubt that he was right in killing her. The nightmare I think was symbolic of that. Raskolnikov tries again and again to kill Alyona but she just laughs at him, as if he was not "extraordinary" enough to commit the crime as he believed he was. I am interested to see who the strange man is in his room and what he brings to the story.


- Madie 

No comments:

Post a Comment