Sunday, November 4, 2012

Alex's Response to Madie


Madie and I share a similar opinion in regard to Raskolnikov’s behavior in Part III, Chapters 4-6. In accordance to Madie’s statement that she begins to see “the cracks in his armor getting bigger” throughout these chapters, I too believe that Raskolnikov’s unavoidable sense of guilt causes him to drop hints and reveal things that should be kept secret if he were to remain free from being caught. We both acknowledge that other characters are starting to notice Raskolnikov’s intense anxiety and mood-swings every time the murders are mentioned. After reading Madie’s reaction, I agree with her idea that Raskolnikov is practically at his breaking point. In my opinion, Raskolnikov gets closer and closer to confession with each and every chapter. In addition, Madie and I both agree that Raskolnikov probably identifies himself as one of the extraordinary, superior people that he discusses in his article “On Crime.” While I completely disagree with Raskolnikov’s reasoning, the article definitely gave me insight on Raskolnikov’s justification for committing the murders. Like Madie said, Raskolnikov believed he had the right to take the lives of two innocent people, an idea that I find sickening. Moreover, I also believe that Raskolnikov’s nightmare at the end of Chapter 6 is symbolic for his belief that he may not be superior to others. Thus, indicating his notion that committing the murders was wrong on his part. When Raskolnikov awakens from his troubled sleep, he recognizes the figure of a strange man in his room, and I am excited to see what this stranger has in store for Raskolnikov. 

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment