Sunday, November 4, 2012

Gabe's reaction to Alex's response part 3 ch 4-6

I believe that both Madie and Alex brought up some very interesting points regarding these next few chapters. I think Alex was completely correct by saying that the central conflict was Raskolnikov's inner sense of guilt and intense anxiety over getting caught. I disagree with her statement saying that Raskolnikov is becoming more careless. I think that there is just more and more evidence that is progressively showing up throughout the story that it is only a matter of time before he gets caught. I do not think there is much left that Raskolnikov can do to protect himself from being exposed as the murderer he is. Alex feels shocked that Raskolnikov published his article, "On Crime," in the newspaper, and I can relate to her. I find it ridiculous that even someone as mentally unstable as Raskolnikov could be ignorant enough to publish an article like that right as he is plotting a murder. If his strange reactions to every day conversation topics and uneasiness in general did not give it away to the others, then this book most certainly instigated and almost seals any doubt, at least for some characters who are not naiive enough to fall for his lies. Alex and I both are intrigued by Porfiry's reaction towards Raskolnikov and his article. He appears to be the first character who truly suspects Raskolnikov to be the murderer, and both Raskolnikov and Razumikhin sense it.

-Gabriel Magalhaes

No comments:

Post a Comment