Sunday, January 27, 2013

Madie's Response to Gabe P.5 Ch.1

Gabe brings up some opinions with which I agree about the chapter. First, this chapter does switch focus to narrow on Luzhin, and we both agree on his shallow personality and nature. I agree with his opinion that his materialistic nature is clearly shown through his belief that the reason Dunia broke off the engagement was solely about money. Further, Gabe brings up a good point about Luzhin's plan to frame Sonya which further shows the corruption in his character. Further, the new character, Luzhin's roommate Lebezyatnikov, seems somewhat unnecessary at the moment. Like Gabe said, there doesn't really seem to be a big role for him so far. However, he will probably play some role in book otherwise he wouldn't have been brought in so late into the book. Due to his selfish and arrogant nature he will probably play a role in Luzhin's fate. This chapter did not have much to do with Raskolnikov, and I agree with Gabe, that I prefer the chapters about Raskolnikov. They seem to be more interesting and entertaining to read. I am not as intrigued with Luzhin as I am with Raskolnikov's fate. 


- Madie

No comments:

Post a Comment