Sunday, August 26, 2012

Response to both Alex and Gabe's Posts

I think we all are pretty much in agreement with the same point of view in regards to our first reactions towards Crime and Punishment. However, like Alex said earlier, within the first few pages of the novel, the reader gains an immediate understanding of exactly what is going on inside the young mans mind. His internal conflicts create a thrilling suspense and yet we still do not even know his name! Further, when the narrator emphasizes Raskolnikov's dubious plan without specifically stating what it is, there is even more suspense placed on the reader with the ambiguity of the whole situation. At this point I really liked how Alex described Raskolnikov's "struggle between his will to commit the crime and his disgust at the thought of doing so." Here, Gabe says much the same thing, which I agree with strongly. Further, I liked Gabe's impression of Marmeladov, I thought that it was very insightful and I agree with it. Marmeladov definitely struggles with himself, knowing what the right thing is to do, but he does not take responsibility for his actions. He knows they are wrong but will not, or can not, admit that they are ultimately his fault. I also liked what Gabe said about Raskolnikov's character traits by the end of his meeting with Marmeladov, how he selflessly gives up what little money he does have, to help the family. I am curious to see how the novel progresses, as it will no doubt have many twists to come. 


- Madie

No comments:

Post a Comment