Sunday, August 26, 2012

First Impression: Part 1 Ch. 1-3

I liked the first part of this book. I thought that it is well written and I liked the way that Dostoyevsky started off without naming the young man at the beginning because it made the reader focus on the details about him, and you begin to understand his character more. I also found Marmeladov's life story really intriguing. The way he told his story, how he tried to do good things - marrying Katherine Ivanova because she needed help, getting a government job to provide income for his family, but that he wasn't really a good man - he got drunk all the time and let his daughter become a prostitute. He seemed really conflicted. He knew what the right thing was to do, and he wanted to do it, but he didn't. Also, I am curious to see how Raskolnikov reacts to his mothers letter. He was already feeling quite depressed, and now, finding out what has happened to his sister, her humility and her new fiance, and that his mother and sister were lying to him, I don't know how he will take it. I left the book, at him being very upset, walking briskly somewhere with a purpose. I feel that he will react very rashly but I am not sure what course of action he will take. I get the feeling that he won't get along well with his sisters fiance, something about the description of him makes me feel like their characters won't clash well. I am intrigued to find out what happens next.


- Madie Benn

No comments:

Post a Comment