Sunday, December 2, 2012

Gabe's response to Part 4 Ch. 4 reactions

I believe that both Madie brought up important issues to be discussed regarding this chapter. Madie appropriately contrasts Sonya's faith in God and her disparity to restore her families finances through her selfless yet degrading deeds, and Raskolnikov's past evil that he is attempting to run away from. I think it was clever how Madie said that the reason why Raskolnikov was in Sonya's room was because it felt like a refuge from all the bad in his life. I agree with Madie that Raskolnikov sees some of himself in Sonya because of her impurity and sinful lifestyle, despite her compassionate intentions. I disagree with the fact that Raskolnikov is focussing on the idea that their similarity is that they both care for family; I think it is more likely that he sees impurity in both of them. I agree that the story of Lazarus probably foreshadows their destiny, which is why they become so emotional and intrigued in the story. I also agree with Madie that Svidrigailov eavesdropping at the door when Raskolnikov tells Sonya that she will soon know the murderer will be no good news for Raskolnikov. I agree that this shows that Raskolnikov is bound to be caught any time now, but judging from his past actions I do not think that he has the audacity and courage to own up to his crime and confess on his own will. I think it is more likely that Svidrigailov will have something to do with him being caught, whether he traps Raskolnikov into admitting it or informs the authorities of this overheard conversation.

-Gabriel Magalhaes

No comments:

Post a Comment