Sunday, December 2, 2012

Alex's response to Madie


Madie brought up an interesting point by discussing the contrast between Sonya and Raskolnikov’s faith in religion. While Sonya believes that God will ultimately protect her family and ensure their well being, Raskolnikov believes that both he and Sonya are going to hell due to the sins they committed. She and I both agree that it is interesting how Raskolnikov compares himself to Sonya. I really liked how Madie stated that this led Raskolnikov to find “a sort of refuge in Sonya's bedroom.” I also liked how Madie stated that Raskolnikov’s feelings of a connection between Sonya and himself may be the result of their shared family values. This was an interesting point because I immediately assumed that this connection stemmed from the fact that they are both sinners. Moreover, Madie and I are both curious to see if Raskolnikov will soon confess. His constant dropping of hints about who committed the murders is making both of us suspenseful and excited for what we will read next. I am also curious to find out more about Svidrigailov’s character. At this point in the novel, he has been portrayed as a very mysterious man with unclear motives. However, I personally think that Svidrigailov knows more about Raskolnikov’s situation than Dostoevsky wants us to believe. I think that Svidrigailov is seeking revenge on Raskolnikov for not allowing him to be with Dunya, and he is doing this by finding out whether or not Raskolnikov actually committed the murders so he can turn him into the police. At this point, I cannot really tell if Raskolnikov will have the chance to confess before he is caught by the police. However, I am extremely convinced that the authorities will find out sooner or later.  

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment