Sunday, March 3, 2013

Madie's Theme

Throughout the book, there has been a different relationship between Sonia and Raskolnikov. I think for my paper it would be interesting to explore their relationship and why it is so special. He confesses the murder to her, and seems to have a connection with her that he shares with no other character. From the beginning, they seem to have a connection - they both try to support their families and they both have "sinned". Sonia becomes Raskolnikov's primary support while he struggles to cope with the guilt, and she sees the good in him. Even when he tells her of his crimes, she sees the good in him is bigger than the bad and she doesn't leave him. Their relationship is very different from that of the other characters, and I think it would be interesting to explore. I'm not sure if this will be a good topic or not, but let me know what you think.

2 comments:

  1. I like this theme! I was actually thinking about doing this, I think you can elaborate on it and explore their complex relationships. You could compare the austerity of their sins and also how they cope with it. You can also compare and contrast their personalities, since they do have a lot in common despite their differences. If I think of any more ideas i will let you know.

    ReplyDelete